About Me

Tualatin, Oregon, United States

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Busy day in Spangle

Hello everyone!

The team has been keeping busy today and we are still excited to be a part of what the Lord's doing here--even if we are a little tired.

We had an exciting moment this morning when the news showed up to do a story on what our group was doing in Spangle. The news was from ABC Channel 4 KXLY for Spokane. Our story will be covered during tonight's news for the local area. There will probably be a short video on their website as well kxly.com. We're excited that we are making an impact on the community and that other cities will be able to hear about it. Our hope and prayer is that they will easily see the love of Christ through our actions.

Today our team was divided into several groups to complete some projects around Spangle:
1. A group of girls put on a small Vacation Bible School for about five kids at a near-by park.
2. A group of students painted three rooms at the church.
3. Another group painted the primer on the house we worked on yesterday.
4. A group of students went to move and deliver chopped wood to senior citizens who use it for heat.
5. Some students helped out with the Food Bank that is run at the church.

We found out today that 50% of Spangle's population live in poverty. The church serves an important role for the 250 people who live in the town in order to provide food for those that need it. About 60-100 people attend church on Sunday--Pastor Dave's church is the only church in town.

Right now we're preparing for a BBQ and worship concert that the whole community has been invited to. We're praying that we'll get a chance to get to know the people who live here and be able to share our testimonies with them. We'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

Here are some thoughts from a few of the students about their experience so far:

CHERI LUIKART:
Dear friends and family,
Wow! I can not even begin to describe the first part of the week to you! It has been an incredible bonding experience and I feel as though I have been reunited with long-lost brothers and sisters. We have scraped paint, pulled weeds, swept sidewalks, and simply had fun, 3-on-3 basketball matches in the gym together! God has been moving so widely and so powerfully! Do you remember all those road-blocks and shut doors in the beginning when we first planned this trip? Well, Satan was trying to stop us! He still is! But the Lord will prevail! We haven't stopped working, rain or shine, and are determined to do what we came to do! Branden has been constantly been reminding us that we are throwing seeds everywhere, not to see the growth, but to prepare the ground for His rain. We have been reading James this week and one of the girls was talked about how James really emphasizes God's desire for persistence rather than perfection! So, my dear brothers and sisters in Christ, may you grow in our Lord and Father and may you be filled with His peace and grace. Philippians 4:23
Your fellow servant of the Lord,
Cheri Luikart

MATT GUNDERSON:
The coolest thing that has happened so far was helping an older couple in the food bank pick out some fresh vegetables and apples. Just the fact that they were so appreciative of what they had received. They were VERY grateful to have young people helping them out. It was a really cool and exciting experience.

JESSICA DICK:
Dear Family and friends,
Words cannot describe how tankful I am to your help in getting me here! We have already begun to make a difference and it is only day four. The cool thing is that each time we plant a seed in the community God grows the seeds in our hearts. I feel so much closer to Christ!

Our daily Bible studies have also helped prepare us. We are almost done with the book of James. One of the verses that describes what we are doing is verses 17-19 of Chapter 2: "In the same way, faith by itself, if not accompanied by action is dead. But someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God, good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder."

Love you all! Thanks!
Jessica Dick

ABIGAIL WEILAND:
God is my one true love, He really is! It might not seem that that could be possible, but it truly is. We have been in James this week so far. I've felt convicted every day from reading the Bible. Reading into James 2, I realized that I shouldn't allow the world's broken thoughts to interrupt my Christ-oriented faith. One thing that also hit me hard was the fact that I will get NOWHERE if all I do is learn the words but NEVER put them into action. Faith and works fit together like a hand and a glove.

James 3 was mostly talking about the mouth. The humans' mouth is a small rudder to the body. Yet it can corrupt the whole body. I also realized that there is NO WAY I would make it to heaven without God's Son's sacrifice for me. He is my whole life. The Lord, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, all three of them have and will guide me through everything. I love the Lord my God with all my heart, with all my soul, and with all my mind. I will do ANYTHING for Him.

For all who read this, I hope the time at home waiting for our return home is also a week-long spiritual encounter for you as you read of our growing relationships with God! I love you Mom, Dad, Chug, and Fred! Nan, too! Stay in the Lord my friends and he will forever make good.



Thank you for your continued prayers!

1 comment:

  1. The Lord is using you all in mighty ways! Thanks so much for the encouraging and informative updates. I quickly looked through the KXLY website to see if we could find the video, but so far, it's not there. Maybe tomorrow! How neat that you're making the news! To God be the glory. : ) You're doing some great things and we'll keep praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete